Brian J. Smith
Assistant Professor of Kinesiology/Athletic Training
The mission of the Charleston Southern University Athletic Training Program is to provide an educational setting and opportunities that demonstrate dedication to the preparation of servant leaders who excel in the field of athletic training grounded on an evidence-based approach. The program encourages the academic and personal development of its students to prepare them for a career in which biblical truths and evidence-based practice guide their thoughts and actions as a medical professional.
- Program graduates will develop the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities of a highly qualified healthcare professional in the field of athletic training with the ability to effectively work in a variety of clinical settings.
- Program graduates will develop the skills and attitudes of a lifelong learner through ongoing professional development utilizing evidence-based practice that will directly impact the quality of their patient care.
- Program graduates will develop the characteristics of an ethical clinician utilizing a servant-leader approach in an effort to impact the lives around them through the profession of athletic training. Recruit diverse and highly capable students to the program.
- Describe the requisite information and knowledge (by program level) of injury prevention and management, clinical examination and diagnosis, and therapeutic inventions necessary to treat injuries to the physically active population.
- Demonstrate the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to provide exceptional healthcare as an entry-level certified athletic trainer.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrate effective communication (verbal and written) with a variety of healthcare practitioners and other members of the healthcare team.
- Clinical and Technical Skills
- Comprehend and demonstrate, when possible, the use of modern equipment and technology utilized in the field of athletic training.
- Demonstrate the use of evidence-based practice techniques by analyzing and applying current research in the field of athletic training.
- Become critical consumers of research and other publicly disseminated information by examining the scientific method and the role of research in developing knowledge in the area of athletic training.
- Professional Behaviors
- Comprehend and demonstrate the rationale for professional continuing education in the field of athletic training.
- Articulate the attributes of servant leadership in their role as a healthcare provider.
- Demonstrate professional behavior consistent with the NATA Code of Ethics and the BOC Inc. Standards of Professional Practice.