Program Director, Assistant Professor of Clinical Counseling
Health Science Building
MS Clinical Counseling – Admissions Process
The MS Clinical Counseling program uses a rolling admissions process. The Admissions Committee reviews applications that meet the minimum requirements for admission and offers personal interviews to qualified candidates. New students can begin the program in the Fall of each year.
Step 1: Review Application Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited university
- 12 undergraduate hours in psychology or related subject
- Official GRE or MAT scores unless the student has the following:
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Another Master’s degree obtained
- 15 credits of graduate studies with a 3.0 GPA or above
- Application (Once you have completed the application, you will be prompted to go back and submit a Goals Statement.)
- 3 Recommendation Forms (2 academic, 1 professional)
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA is recommended; for applicants who do not meet this requirement but who are accepted to the program, they must have a 4.0 in 6 credit hours the first semester to continue in the program.
Step 2: Apply
The Clinical Counseling Program utilizes Charleston Southern University’s Graduate Application Service. This application includes the following:
- Personal Background Information
- Admission Data
- Academic History:
- Please be prepared to upload academic transcripts from previously attended institutions and programs.
- Spouse Information
- Please be prepared to provide the name and contact information for 3 people who can provide a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- Three letters of recommendation are required for the application to be considered complete.
- Two of these letters from be from an academic reference and one must be from a professional reference.
- Letters cannot be from a family member or friend.
- We recommend that you choose references that have known you in a professional setting for at least six months.
- Goals Statement:
- Please tell us why you are interested in counseling as a profession and what you think you can bring to the field.
- What about Charleston Southern University’s program interests you? Why do you think CSU is a good fit for you?
- What challenges might you experience in this program and how will you handle those challenges? Please be sure to include a discussion of self-care in your response.
Step 3: Personal Interview
Personal interview invitations are extended to applicants who meet the minimum requirements for admissions. Exact dates will be communicated to candidates with an offer to interview. These interviews are currently conducted virtually.
Step 4: Acceptance Requirements
Detailed instructions on how to complete the process will be communicated to candidates upon acceptance.