Campus Life

Charleston Southern University > Counseling Services > Counseling Services FAQs


1. How much does a counseling appointment cost? 

Counseling Services are offered to all current CSU students free of charge. Counseling Services does not provide counseling to CSU faculty/staff members. However we are available to consult with you regarding your concerns and provide a list of off-campus referrals.

2. What should I expect from a counseling session?

The initial session will be a time for your counselor to gather information regarding your presenting concern(s), background, and any other pertinent information in a safe, confidential, and supportive environment. Typically, sessions will involve your counselor listening, supporting, encouraging, confronting, challenging, asking questions, providing education, and teaching you new skills. For therapy to be successful it will be important for you to be active in your treatment. 

3. How confidential is counseling?

Confidentiality is of critical importance and is an issue we take very seriously. Client information will not be released on or off campus without your informed written consent except where ethical and legal limits to confidentiality are required.

Legal limits to confidentiality include:

    • Indications of clear and imminent danger to self or others
    • Suspected child or elder abuse/neglect
    • Proper, legal court order directing release of information to a particular court or judge

Information kept about the counseling you receive from Counseling Services is not part of your academic file and will therefore not go on your official student record. Counseling records are kept separately, and only Counseling Services staff members have access to these records.

 4. How long is a typical counseling session?

The first session typically lasts between 60-90 minutes and sessions thereafter typically last 50 minutes. Experience suggests that most students are able to make substantial progress in five to seven sessions.

5. Does Counseling Services prescribe medications?

Counseling Services staff does not prescribe medications. However, if it is determined that medication would be a beneficial part of your treatment then referrals may be provided.

6. What about counselor qualifications?

Our counselors are master's level graduates of regionally accredited professional counselor programs, have completed extensive counseling internships and are licensed as professional counselors in the state of South Carolina. They also frequently attend professional conferences and workshops to remain up-to-date with the latest advances in mental health. The counseling center also operates as a training site for counseling interns in graduate school. Each intern is supervised on a weekly basis to ensure the services being offered are appropriate and within the scope of the intern's competency while in graduate school and under supervision.

7. How do I make an appointment?

Stop by Counseling Services on the second floor of Russell West or call us at 843-863-8010 and speak with a receptionist to set up an appointment.

8. Are there any groups?

CSU Counseling Services offers groups on an as-needed basis. Some groups we have offered include body image, self-esteem and substance abuse support groups.

9. Where can I get help with study skills like note-taking or doing better on exams?

The Learning Center is available to help students acquire study skills and is located in the Russell West breezeway.

10. Where can I receive assistance with career-related questions?

The Career Center is available to help students with career-related questions and is located in the Strom Thurmond Center. 

11. Which office can help with disability questions or requests for accommodations?

You may ask questions or seek accommodations through our Director of Student Success, Dr. Annie Watson (843-863-7159). Her office is located in the Student Success Center, which is located on the first floor of the Strom Thurmond Center.

Outside Referrals:

Because of limited resources, clients with problems requiring long-term counseling may need to be referred to an off-campus professional. Also, if a CSU counselor determines that a client's needs exceed his or her ability to provide adequate services, we have an ethical responsibility to refer the student to another counselor. While CSU does not endorse or recommend any one particular counselor, we do maintain a list of local counselors who are qualified to meet your needs. However, the cost of off-campus counseling is strictly the responsibility of the student.


If you and/or another person are in danger, call 911 immediately. If you are on campus and need immediate assistance, please call Campus Security (ext. 2020 from a campus phone or 843-553-5896 from any other phone.



To speak with someone about getting help or for information about mental health and community resources, please call Trident United Way’s 2-1-1  Hotline or 843-744-HELP (4357) from a mobile phone.