Chad C. Atkinson
Operations Flight Commander
P843-863-7144 / Ecatkinson@csuniv.edu
• 1999 Airman Leadership School (Residence), Charleston AFB, S.C.
• 2001 Associate in Science Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force
• 2003 Bachelor of Technology in Business, Charleston Southern University, Charleston, S.C.
• 2004 Air and Space Basic Course (Residence), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
• 2008 Officer Space 100 Course (Residence), Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
• 2010 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
• 2010 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Worldwide
• 2016 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
Lieutenant Colonel Chad Atkinson is the Assistant Professor of Aerospace Studies for Detachment 772 at CSU. He is responsible for training highly qualified men and women with the intent of developing them into the next generation of Air Force leaders. In addition, Atkinson instructs curriculum covering Foundations of the USAF, AF History, Leadership, and National Security Affairs. Atkinson enlisted in the USAF in August 1994 and separated service as a Staff Sergeant in January 2002 due to being awarded a scholarship to receive a Bachelor’s degree and attend ROTC. He was commissioned a second lieutenant through the Reserve Officer Training Corps at Charleston Southern University in December 2003. His career includes duties as a C-17 crew chief, program manager at a logistics center, two system program offices, and as a program integrator for the Defense Contracting Management Agency. Atkinson has deployed as a lead quality assurance representative to Southern Afghanistan ensuring base life support compliance for seven forward operating locations. He has worked with the Federal Aviation Administration on KC-46 airworthiness, and with various major defense contractors to include, but not limited to, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin and Northrup Grumman. Atkinson’s experience includes multiple phases of acquisition in design, development, and sustainment for aircraft and space systems.
- 1. November 1994 – January 2002, Aircraft Maintenance Specialist, Charleston AFB, S.C. (enlisted) 2. February 2004 – January 2005, HC-130 Program Manager, Robins AFB, GA. 3. January 2005 – January 2006, HC-130 Integrated Process Team Leader, Robins AFB, GA. 4. January 2006 – June 2008, Aircraft Test Equipment Program Manager, Robins AFB, GA. 5. June 2008 – January 2009, Chief, SBIRS Sensors Elect/Comm Element, Los Angeles AFB, CA 6. January 2009 – January 2011, Chief, SBIRS Payload Integration, Launch & Ops Branch, Los Angeles AFB, CA 7. January 2011 – July 2011, Lead Quality Assurance Representative, DCMA, Camp Dwyer, Afghanistan 8. July 2011 – November 2011, Chief, SBIRS HEO/GEO Integration and Test Branch, Los Angeles AFB, CA 9. November 2011 – July 2012: Mission Manager, Satellite Systems, Los Angeles AFB, CA 10. July 2012 – March 2013, AWACS Program Integrator, DCMA, Boeing Seattle, WA 11. March 2013 – June 2014, Chief of Business Operations, DCMA, Boeing Seattle, WA 12. June 2014 – July 2015, Program Integrator, KC-46, DCMA, Boeing Seattle, WA 13. July 2015 – July 2016, Chief Southwest Asia FMS, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 14. July 2016 – July 2017, Executive Officer, AFSAC, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 15. July 2017 – July 2018, Chief, Developmental Programs, ACS, Wright-Patterson AFB, OH 16. July 2018 – June 2019, Recruiting Officer, Det 772, Charleston Southern University, Charleston, SC 17. June 2019 – Present, Operations Flight Commander, Det 772, Charleston Southern University, Charleston, SC
- EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- • Second Lieutenant - February 23, 2003 • First Lieutenant - February 23, 2005 • Captain - February 23, 2007 • Major - January 1, 2014 • Lieutenant Colonel - December 12, 2018