Call Us Email Us


Financial Aid FAQs (graduate students) 

Financial Aid FAQs (Graduate) 

How do I apply for financial aid?

In order to qualify for financial aid at CSU, all students must first be regularly accepted to the university and be registered for classes. Then, to determine the amount you are eligible and to apply for financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Finally, we will create a financial aid package available on your Financial Aid LIVE detailing all of your aid for the academic year. If you would like to change the amount of your loan, you will need to contact the Financial Aid Office.

How much am I eligible for as a graduate student?

The maximum amount you will be eligible for any academic year is $20,500. CSU’s academic year runs Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.

Do I have to renew my financial aid every year?

Yes, you need to complete the FAFSA annually to renew your financial aid.   

How can I defer my loans?

You may be able to defer your undergraduate student loans while you are enrolled in CSU’s graduate programs. In order to find out more about this you need to contact your undergraduate student loan lender. They will be able to provide you with a document for deferment. This document may be signed by CSU’s registrar’s office only after the drop/add date. The registrar’s office is the only office eligible to sign this deferment form.

Do I have to be a full-time graduate student to be eligible and maintain financial aid?

No, you do not have to be a full-time graduate student to be eligible for financial aid. You must be enrolled in at least one course during the term you wish to receive financial aid. You also must remain in good standing as identified in the graduate catalog available online at

When are refunds issued?

The CSU catalog specifies which charges, fees and deposits are refundable and procedures necessary to obtain refunds. A student who has a credit on his/her account must sign up for e-refunds through his or her MyCSU account. The refund deposits directly into the bank account of the student’s choosing. The refund will be issued within 14 working days from the time the finalized credit balance is created in a student account.  If you are not signed up for e-refund, a check will be mailed to the address on file. Please note that leading up to the drop/add period of each semester, the aid on the account is preliminary and is not finalized.  Once the aid has posted on your student account, is when the 14 days start to be calculated.

Can I change my loan amount?

Yes, you may change your loan amount. You will complete an Award Update Form, located on your Financial Aid LIVE, and submit it to the Financial Aid Office. You will then receive a revised award letter email notification sent to your BUC mail, once the updates have been processed.  All updates are available 24/7 on your Financial Aid LIVE.

Do you offer any funding or payment methods other than loans?

Charleston Southern University accepts outside scholarships, loans, tuition reimbursement, tuition assistance, VA funding and payment plans. For more information regarding your financial aid, outside scholarships or outside loans, contact financial aid at 843-863-7050.  For more information on tuition reimbursement, tuition assistance and payment plans, please contact the Business Office at 843-863-8058.

To find out more information regarding determining financial need, verification selection, where to pay your bill, or more information on outside scholarships click here.