Call Us Email Us

Academic Policies

Policy GR-100

Number: GR-100
Date of Inception: October 15, 1999

Purpose: To establish procedures for graduate students seeking final grade changes.

Procedures for Graduate Students in Education Changing or Appealing Course Final Grades

A. The first level of appeal for a student who is dissatisfied with a grade received is to the professor assigning the grade. The student should make contact with the professor to explain the basis of dissatisfaction and the professor should explain the basis for the grade. This meeting should be face to face; however, the professor may allow other forms of communication (via telephone or e-mail, for example). The student must request this interview in writing to the professor within 10 days of the posting of the final grade.Once the faculty member has received the request, the interview (or other communication) must be scheduled within normal working hours (8 a.m. - 5 p.m.), Monday through Friday within 10 days of the student’s request (unless the request does not fall within a major term; see paragraph D below). Failure by the faculty member to respond to the student's request within the established time will be considered a violation of the University policy. Failure of the student to appear at the scheduled interview ends the appeals procedure. If the student has not been contacted by the professor within 30 days of mailing the appeal, the student should file the appeal directly with the Registrar, who will forward the appeal to the appropriate Graduate Director.

B. If the student wishing to appeal a final course grade is still dissatisfied after an interview (or other agreed upon communication) with the professor, the student should then submit a written statement to the Registrar, who will forward the appeal to the appropriate Graduate Director, within 10 days of the interview. This should contain the reasons for dissatisfaction and the specific changes the student regards as fair and desirable. The burden of proof lies with the student in such a case to show that an error or malfeasance has occurred. Within 10 days of receiving the written appeal from the Registrar, the Graduate Director will notify in writing the professor, the student, and the Registrar of the Graduate Director’s decision (as noted in Paragraph D, this deadline is extended when the appeal is not lodged during a major semester). When, in the opinion of the Graduate Director, the student fails to show reasonable cause for further investigation, the Graduate Director  may deny the appeal without taking further action.

C. When, in the opinion of the Graduate Director, a student's appeal raises reasonable doubt as to whether a mistake or malfeasance has occurred; the Graduate Director and the department chair shall appoint within 10 days, a committee of three faculty members whom the Graduate Director considers most nearly competent in the subject matter. This committee will meet and issue a decision in writing to the department chair, the Graduate Director, professor, and student within 10 days of the request. Both the professor and student should be asked to bind themselves in advance to accept the committee's decision. Neither may be required, however, to bind themselves.

D. If the student files the initial request at a time other than during a major term and if the professor or Graduate Director is not available during that time, all of the foregoing time requirements will begin with the first day of class in the next major term. In extreme or unusual circumstances regarding the timeliness of the appeals process, the VPAA will make the final determination.

E. Any student who has exhausted the remedies open under the procedures outlined above may appeal the entire matter to the Enrollment Sub-Committee of the Graduate Council. The student should be advised by the Enrollment Sub-Committee of the Graduate Council will not alter a grade under these circumstances, but if the student can show compelling evidence that the procedures outlined above have been violated, the Enrollment Sub-Committee may recommend that a reexamination or other appropriate assignment be given to the student, that the appropriate academic dean investigate the entire matter, or other appropriate action be taken.

F. All results from the proceedings of the Enrollment Sub-Committee of the Graduate Council should be reported to the appropriate academic dean and Vice President of Academic Affairs as information. 

By action of the Graduate Council on October 15, 1999. Revised February 2015.


What's your passion? Charleston Southern University offers undergraduate and graduate level programs. Find your program.