Call Us Email Us

Registrar Faculty FAQ


Adjunct Faculty Handbook
New Faculty PowerPoint
Registration Assistance
No show reporting

Entering Midterm Grades
Entering Final Grades
Understanding a Degree Audit
Attendance tracking and reporting

Faculty FAQs

    1. What is a degree audit? A degree audit displays the courses taken and still needed for a particular student as applicable to their current major. They are essential to use for proper advising.
    2. How do I view an advisees audit? Log into MyCSU, click on your Faculty tab, click on Student Advising, select your advisee, click on their name, and click on advising worksheet- unofficial and then you can view or print out the advising worksheet.
    3. How do I view a degree audit for a student who is not my advisee? You will need to have the student log into MyCSU under their account and print out the audit for you.
    4. How can a student get an official degree check? Once a student has earned 61 hours or more, they can request an official degree audit through their MyCSU account. Click on the student tab, on the left click on forms and fill out the online form. The student will receive an email from the Registrar's Office within two weeks with their audit. Students can only receive one official audit. When they apply to graduate, we automatically audit their record. Graduate students do not need to request an official audit, they just need to apply for graduation the semester before they are eligible.
    5. What is FERPA? The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 helps protect the privacy of student education records. The Act provides eligible students the right to inspect and review education records, the right to seek to amend those records and to limit disclosure of information from the records. The Act limits the information we can release and to whom it can be released. Directory information can be released to any party and is as follows:
      1. name, address and telephone listing
      2. e-mail address
      3. date and place of birth
      4. field(s) of study
      5. participation in officially recognized activities and sports
      6. weight and height of student-athletes
      7. dates of attendance, degrees and awards
      8. photographs
      9. most recent previous school attended
      10. full-time or part-time status
    6. How do I release educational information in compliance with FERPA? CSU has created a waiver the student can fill out, giving us permission to release educational information to both the student and any third party. The waiver is found on MyCSU under your Faculty tab. Click on Student Information Release Retrieval to obtain the waiver. If there is a waiver on file, the student or third party MUST provide you with the question and answer and may not be led on either. Once this information is received, you are free to discuss the students information. You may also speak to students via their BucMail without retrieving the waiver information.
    7. Where do I find the academic calendar? Click here or the Registrars Office also has printed copies available.
    8. Where can I find the exam schedule?  Click here or visit the Registrars Office for a printed copies available.
    9. What if I have a student who needs to reschedule a final exam?  Click here
    10. How can I get a copy of the catalog? CSU no longer prints the catalog. All catalogs from 2009 to present are online.
    11. How do I add a student to a full class? Please have students fill out a Drop/Add/Withdrawal form.  The completed form must include an advisors signature and the signature of the appropriate department chair or dean. Incomplete forms will be rejected.
    12. How many times can a student take a class at CSU? Three. For more information click here.
    13. What is a no show? Someone who has not attended or logged into a course at all.
    14. Does the Registrars Office automatically remove a student reported as a no show from a course? No.
    15. What if I reported a student as a no show and they have started attending? Please email the Registrars office so the student can be coded correctly.
    16. What do the different section numbers on courses mean? Click here.
    17. How do I register a student for a class ending in 45, 46 or 47? All traditional students wanting to take an online class ending in 45, 46 or 47 must pay an additional $180.00 fee and must have Dean approval (see your Dean for more information).
    18. What is CSUs attendance policy? CSU allows students to miss 25% of their class before issuing an FA; click here for more information.
    19. How do I submit a request to issue an FA (failure due to absence)? Use the Excessive Absence Form available online from the Faculty tab at MyCSU.
    20. How does a student withdraw from a course?
      • To officially withdraw from a traditional (on ground) course: complete a Drop/Add Request Form with signatures from the course instructor and advisor. Turn in the completed form to the Registrar's Office for processing.
      • To officially withdraw from a nontraditional (online) course: log into MyCSU, click on the Student tab, click on Courses and Grades on the left, click on Go to request form to withdraw from an online class on the right and fill out the information. You will be notified by email once it is processed.
      • To officially withdraw from all of your courses: log into MyCSU, click on the Student tab, click on Forms on the left, click on Go to the Withdrawal form on the right and fill out the form. The Registrar's office will collect your grades and last dates of attendance, if applicable. If you officially withdraw before drop/add ends you will not be responsible for tuition and fees. All offices will be notified as needed when you officially withdraw.
    21. Why do I have to sign a withdrawal form for my advisee? We ask you sign the form to notify the student if this is their last attempt, if they will be off track to graduate or if they will fall below full time status which may affect their housing or financial aid.
    22. How do students apply for graduation?  Students can apply online or come to the Hunter Center to fill out the paperwork.
    23. How do I handle an academic violation? All academic violations are to be submitted to the Registrars office. To view the entire policy, click here. The form can be found on your Faculty Tab in MyCSU. If you are having a difficult time getting the students signature, please forward the form to our office and we will attempt to get it for you. Please process all academic violations immediately. The process is a lengthy one, with the possibility of appealing several times. The sooner we have the paperwork, the sooner we can complete the process.
    24. Can I use my personal email account to communicate with students? No, to remain in compliance with federal laws, please only use your BucMail. If you are having problems with your email account, please place a work order in with IT.
    25. How do I issue a grade of Incomplete to a student? If at the end of the semester you need to award a student a grade of Incomplete, you will need to fill out the form found on your faculty tab in MyCSU and send it to our office to process. If you cannot get the student's signature, send our office the form with all of the other signatures and we will mail the form to the student.
    26. How do students withdraw from online classes? If you teach an online course or if you are an advisor of a student trying to withdraw from an online course, we have implemented a new procedure. Students will request to withdraw from the course using their MyCSU account.
    27. Do I have to issue midterm grades? Yes, all undergraduate classes must issue midterm grades. Midterm grades are optional at the graduate level. If you have not graded any work at that point, you must at least enter a P for passing, so we can be sure you are keeping attendance.
    28. How do I obtain a course substitution or waiver for a student? The forms are found online on your Faculty Tab on MyCSU and must be signed by the appropriate people before being sent to our office.
    29. How do I know if a course substitution or waiver has been applied to a students account? To view all subs and waivers, click on the student's degree audit.
    30. How can I tell how a students transfer credit counts at CSU toward their degree? All courses, whether transfer or CSU credit, are displayed on the students transcript and audit.
    31. How can I change a students grade- midterm or final? Grade changes are initiated on MyCSU. The form is found on your Faculty tab.
    32. How many chapels does a student need to graduate? All Students must earn an average of six (6) Chapel Enrichment Units (nonacademic credit), to a maximum total of 48, for every semester that they are enrolled as a full-time, day student in order to be eligible to graduate. Students can view their chapel attendance record on MyCSU.
    33. How do I grant a student clearance so they can register themselves online? Advisor clearance is used for all traditional undergraduate students. An advisor must grant clearance for their advisees to enable registration to occur by the advisor or the student. If you register a student in Jenzabar and do not clear them in MyCSU, they will be unable to drop or add after the initial registration. You must log into MyCSU, click on your faculty tab, click on student advising, change the advisee status to needs registration clearance and make sure the term is correct and then click grant.
    34. Why am I unable to grant clearance to my freshman advisees? Granting clearance allows a student to register online. Freshman are never able to register themselves online.
    35. How does a student seek permission to attend another college over the summer? If a students permanent residence is over 50 miles away from the campus, a student may request permission to enroll at an accredited institution near their home during the summer semester by completing the Request To Take Courses at Another Institution.  If a student wants to attend the College of Charleston, The Citadel or Trident Technical College, permission must be obtained first by the Dean or Department Head of the students major and then the University Registrar. To read the full policy, click here  The form is online or in the Registrars Office.
    36. How does a student complete the Registration Agreement? Students log into MyCSU, click on Academics and then complete the agreement.
    37. My advisee has a hold and I cannot drop or add courses- how can I assist them? The student should first attempt to clear the hold. If the office that placed the hold is willing to override the hold, please fill out the appropriate form, sign it and send them to the Office of the Registrar to process the form. If you are creating a new schedule, use the Registration Form. If you are altering a schedule, use the Drop/Add/Withdrawal Form.
    38. What are the codes for the terms? 30= Fall; 50= Spring and 80= Summer
    39. I have an advisee that would like to take more than 18 hours- what do they do? Students wanting to take 19-21 need dean approval; students wanting to take 22 or more hours must first seek dean approval and then VPAA approval. The form must be brought to the Registrars office to process. There is an additional fee for each credit hour over 18.
    40. My advisee would like to take a course for the third attempt and I am unable to add them- what do I do? Students may repeat any course taken at Charleston Southern University in which they have earned a previous grade. However, the University limits the number of times students may attempt a credit-earning course to three, and the number of times students may attempt a remedial, non-credit course to two. All attempts (or repeats) count, including those with grades of W, WP, WF and FA. Students need to bring an add form, with an advisors signature to add a course for the third attempt, so we can inform them this is their last attempt.
    41. What do I need to do to reverse an FA (excessive absence)? The Dean of the course can notify the Registrar to reverse the FA and add the student back to the class.
    42. How many chapel credits does my advisee need? See the Academic Catalog, Student Development/Activities section for the complete policy.
    43. How does a student get registered for an Independent Study? The form is found online under your faculty tab. Once the form is completed, the VPAA will forward the form to the Registrar. The student will be added to the course once the form is received and payment is made, if required.
    44. How do I obtain a last date of log in when the student has been removed from Blackboard?
      1. In the course, go down to “Evaluation” under the Course Management heading and click on “course reports”
      2. Hover your mouse over “Course Activity Overview” on the list of reports. You will see a drop-down arrow appear. Click on that and click “run”
      3. At the bottom under the Report Specifications heading, select your dates and then hit “Submit” in the bottom-right corner.
      4. Click “download report” or you can click “run a new report” to put in new dates.
      5. When the report opens, it will show you the activity of the class as a whole and an overview of each student. If you click on the blue bar graph of a student, you can view their individual activity.
      6. After clicking on a student’s bar graph, it will take you back to the screen in step 4. Click “download report” to see the student’s activity.
    45. Who works in the Registrars office and what are their job duties so I know who to contact with various questions?
      • Lisa Kemp- Associate Registrar- all questions concerning graduation and degree audits (7990)
      • Calin Burger- Assistant Registrar for NCAA Certification- questions concerning student-athlete eligibility (7994)
      • Janie Cogdill- Transcript Credit Specialist- questions concerning transfer and non-traditional credit (8065)
      • Kathryn Dougherty- Degree System Specialist- questions concerning degree audits, course substitutions and courses that do not apply toward the degree (7992)
      • Susan Poulin- Office Assistant- questions about verifications and registration (7437)
      • L. Narie Gibson- Operations Coordinator/Administrative Assistant to the Registrar- questions about no shows, grading, probation and scheduling (8006)
      • Lisa Kurtz- Transcript requests, verification and registration (7993)
      • Amanda Sisson- University Registrar- All of the above and everything else! (7991 or 843-200-4539)


What's your passion? Charleston Southern University offers undergraduate and graduate level programs. Find your program.