Contact Us
Call Us Email Us

Student Services

Charleston Southern University > Residence Life >  > Residence Life


Are freshman required to live on campus?

Traditional freshmen are required to live on campus unless they are from the local Charleston/Tri-county area. Visit the CSU Housing Policy page (link to Housing Policy page), for more information. Living on-campus is a great way to meet new people, adjust to college life and be in the center of all activities here at CSU. You will be able to get to classes in just minutes, drop back to your room to trade books, and have easy access to professors and all the academic resources the campus offers. In addition, you are more likely to get involved in clubs and organizations, and stay involved.

Is on-campus housing guaranteed for freshman?

We are committed to providing on-campus housing for freshmen and do not anticipate having problems doing so.

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

Once you are admitted to the University, you will receive additional information from your enrollment counselor about applying for housing. The application can be found on MyCSU under the Student tab and the housing webpage.

How do I update my personal information on the housing application?

Some information on your application is auto-populated based on the information in CSU’s database. If any information is incorrect, please contact your enrollment counselor to update.

How are assignments made?

Fall room assignments are made beginning in May (spring room assignments for new students are made in December) and on an ongoing basis thereafter. Every effort is made to match roommates based on the information provided on the roommate questionnaire. Before room assignments can be made, all necessary forms, including the immunization record form, must be completed and returned to the Residence Life Office. A $300 enrollment deposit (new students) OR a $200 room deposit (returning students) must also be made. This deposit is due before a room assignment can be made and will be applied to the fall and spring semesters. Students must make a room reservation and deposit each semester after their freshmen year. Based upon student population, students may be assigned 3 to a room, 5 to a suite.

May I request a particular residence hall?

CSU has specific buildings that are designated freshman residence halls. Russell East and Women’s North house female freshmen along with the third floor of Russell West and Quad 1 for male freshmen. The Residence Life Office will assign you to a hall as soon as you have completed your paperwork and deposits.

What is provided in each of the residence halls?

Each spacious room includes: Cable TV Connection, Wireless Internet Access, Private Telephone Line, Heating and Air Conditioning, Vinyl Wood Flooring, Window with Venetian Blinds, Spacious Closet Area with Overhead Storage, Twin Bed with Mattress per Resident (three person room contains one bunk bed), Desk and Chair per Resident, Dresser per Resident. Each suite has an adjoining bathroom with: Two Sinks with Cabinet Storage, Toilet with Privacy Curtain, Toilet Paper Holder, Shower with Basic Shower Curtain


Are there any extra-long mattresses?

Yes, most beds come with extra-long mattresses. If you check-in and find that your mattress is too short, you may request an extra-long mattress from the Residence Life Office.

What do I need to bring?

Suggested items on what to pack here.

What should I leave at home?

  • Pets
  • Hotplates or any open burner device
  • Guns, metal point darts, knives, or any object that could be used or viewed as a weapon
  • Electric Blankets
  • Electric Heaters
  • Flammables
  • Candles or Incense
  • Extension cord without surge protection

Are there places in the residence halls where I can study?

Yes, students can study in their rooms or in the study lounges provided in each of the residence halls. Students can also study in the CSU library which is open most evenings until midnight.

May I decorate my room?

Yes, we want you to personalize your room in order to make it more comfortable. Although you are not allowed to paint your room, you can bring your own curtains, rug, or carpet. Since nails, screws and many adhesives (e.g., double-stick tape, carpet tape) are damaging to the walls and floor, we ask that you use only removable, nondamaging adhesives (e.g., 3M command) to attach items to walls and doors. 

May I have visitors in my room?

Guests must be of the same gender as the occupant. A Guest Registration Card from the Residence Life Office must be completed at least 24 hours prior to the guest’s arrival on campus. Overnight guests may spend a weekend night (Friday and Saturday) provided satisfactory sleeping arrangements have been worked out with your roommate, suitemates or hallmates. No guests are allowed on weeknights or during exam week. Guests will not be allowed to stay in any room unless one of the occupants of that room is present. No babysitting is allowed in Residence Halls.

Nonvisitation Policy

Residents’ rooms and hallways are off limits to persons of the opposite sex at all times other than designated Open House nights. Only designated lounges are to be used for visiting in the residence halls. The only exceptions are check-in and check-out days when it is permissible before 5 p.m. Permission from the RLC is required. Violators of this regulation shall be subject to immediate disciplinary action.

Open House Policy

Charleston Southern University makes available an Open House program from 7 p.m. until midnight on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Complete rules are posted at each residence hall check-in station and lounge. Failure to comply with the Open House program will result in the loss of Open House privileges. Open House days and times are subject to change.

Do I have to eat in the dining hall?

Yes, a meal plan is provided for all students living on campus. Eating on campus is a terrific way to stay connected with friends, grab a quick bite between classes and get good tasting food. You may make changes to your meal plan by visiting the Dining Hall.

May I cook in my room?

Yes, but low amp. microwaves are the only cooking devices allowed in the residence halls.

Are there laundry services available?

Yes, Quads- 1, 2, 3 floors, Russell East 1, 3 floors, Russell West 1, 3 floors, Women's North 3 floor, Women's South 3 floor. 

What about stereos or TVs?

Each building has a social lounge that is equipped with a TV for your use, but you may bring your own TV or stereo. You may want to coordinate with your roommate(s) so that you can utilize your room space well. Consider bringing headphones if you play your TV or stereo loudly – that way you won’t bother other students who may be trying to sleep or study. Please note: there are brands of TV that do not have a tuner compatible with the signals at CSU. Known brands that do not work are Dynex, Element and Westinghouse.

May I bring a pet?

No, fish are the only pets allowed in the residence halls and apartments. Fish tanks are limited to 10 gallons or less.

Will there be parking close to my residence hall?

Yes, parking is provided in lots located adjacent to or in close proximity of the residence halls. You must purchase a University parking permit to park in these areas. 

May I bring a bicycle?

Yes, you may bring a bicycle, and bicycle racks are provided outside of each residence hall. We recommend that you purchase a heavy-duty lock to secure your bicycle. Bicycles may also be stored in your room with the agreement of all your roommates. 

How do I receive my mail?

Mail and packages for residential students can be sent to and picked up at the Post Office on campus located in the Strom Thurmond building first floor. All students living on-campus are required to have a CSU mailbox number. There is no charge for mail sent to any on-campus address. Most services of a regular post office are available on campus at regular prices. This will be how your address should appear on mail for you to receive it in a timely fashion:

Student Name
CSU Box #
P.O. Box 118087
Charleston, SC 29423


How can I make long distance phone calls?

Long distance calls may be placed by using the long distance service of your choice via calling card, or you may apply for a long distance code provided by the university.

May I bring my own telephone and/or answering machine?

Yes, you will need to bring your own land line phone, but voice mail is provided on every phone line. So you do not need to purchase an answering machine.

What if my roommate and I do not get along?

College is a time of new growth and discovery. When conflicts arise, we encourage roommates to communicate their concerns to each other. However, we acknowledge that there are times a neutral perspective, such as a member of the Residence Life Staff can help in the mediation process. Residence Life Coordinators (RLC) are professional staff members who oversee conflicts needing more attention. All RLCs are trained in conflict resolution and low-level mediation. They can also facilitate room changes, if needed.

What is a Residence Life Coordinator (RLC)?

RLCs are full-time staff members who supervise the student Resident Advisors in performance of their duties and are responsible for all aspects of the housing and residence life system. The RLCs act on behalf of the Director of Residence Life in his absence and are the primary facilitators of all residence hall programs. The RLCs are present to assist students with any problems that may arise in the residence halls.

What is a Resident Assistant (RA)?

On every floor of every residence hall there is at least one RA. A resident advisor is a student member of the Residence Life Staff. The RAs are selected on the basis of their ability and desire to develop the peer counseling, advising and leadership skills necessary to create an effective learning environment. RAs are responsible for assisting students in making a smooth adjustment to campus life, enforcing rules and policies, providing answers to questions, issuing supplies, handling student problems, facilitating residence hall programs and many other duties which may arise in the residence halls.