9200 University Blvd., Charleston, SC 29406
A brief look at CSU
Charleston Southern University is an independent, comprehensive Christian university grounded in the liberal arts tradition, affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Founded as the Baptist College at Charleston in 1964 upon the principle that students should have an opportunity for a quality education under the guidance of Christian faculty, the institution changed its name to Charleston Southern University in 1990 to reflect the offering of graduate programs. The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Charleston Southern University’s vision is to be a “Christian university nationally recognized for integrating faith in learning, leading and serving”; the university’s mission is “Promoting Academic Excellence in a Christian Environment.” That excellence is demonstrated throughout the curriculum. Each undergraduate degree program is built upon a comprehensive liberal arts foundation which develops and strengthens the student’s skills in critical thinking and reasoning. Through their majors students are prepared to enter professions or graduate studies. In the master’s programs, students are exposed to the significant research of their professions and are educated in current trends and developments in their chosen fields. Doctoral students engage in their fields of study at the highest levels, participating in research or intensive clinical placements to develop and demonstrate expert knowledge of their professions.
Academics / Annual Costs
$28,600 (annual, traditional undergraduate*)
Room & Board
$11,100 – $12,300 (annual)
- Specialized Accreditation
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- International Accreditation Council for Business Education
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- National Association of Schools of Music
- American Music Therapy Association
- Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing
- Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Accreditation Provisional, Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant
- U.S. News & World Report #21 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs
- U.S. News & World Report #13 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans (top-ranked in S.C.)
- U.S. News Best Colleges
- #57 in Best Colleges (South)
- #26 in Best Colleges for Veterans (South)
- #37 in Best Colleges Social Mobility (South)
- Washington Monthly’s Best Bang for the Buck in the Southeast list
- VA Yellow Ribbon Program
- Military Friendly School
- America’s 100 Best College Buys
- America’s Best Christian Colleges
- America’s Best Online Colleges
13-to-1 — The benefit of a smaller classroom is more one-on-one interaction between professors and students.
- 100% new, entering freshmen awarded an academic scholarship
- 3,349 Enrollment (2,733 Undergraduate / 616 Graduate)
- 31.6% People of color
- 64% Female / 36% Male
- 18% Out-of-state undergraduates representing 40 states
- 41 Countries represented by international students
- 15.4% Undergraduates age 25 or older
- 568,000+ physical and electronic items
- 185 databases
- Selective Depository in the Federal Depository Library Program.
Bucky – Buccaneers
CSU Navy (Pantone 295) and Pirate Gold (Pantone 7503)
Hail to thee, O Charleston Southern: Fount of God’s great truth and knowledge. We thy children all sing praises ever more to thee. Source of inspiration, beacon of salvation; Honor, Courage, Faith and Justice, These thou hast taught us day by day. Hail to thee, O Charleston Southern, Alma Mater Hail!
The BUCS will find a way to get it done. CSU will give its all until the game is won. The BUCS will FIGHT AND FIGHT (shout it!) till victory. And will not stop till we’re at the top, Champions we’ll be, YO HO!