9200 University Blvd., Charleston, SC 29406
A brief look at CSU
Charleston Southern University is an independent, comprehensive Christian university grounded in the liberal arts tradition, affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Founded as the Baptist College at Charleston in 1964 upon the principle that students should have an opportunity for a quality education under the guidance of Christian faculty, the institution changed its name to Charleston Southern University in 1990 to reflect the offering of graduate programs.
The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
Charleston Southern University’s vision is to be a “Christian university nationally recognized for integrating faith in learning, leading and serving”; the university’s mission is “Promoting Academic Excellence in a Christian Environment.” That excellence is demonstrated throughout the curriculum.
Each undergraduate degree program is built upon a comprehensive liberal arts foundation which develops and strengthens the student’s skills in critical thinking and reasoning. Through their majors students are prepared to enter professions or graduate studies. In the master’s programs, students are exposed to the significant research of their professions and are educated in current trends and developments in their chosen fields. Through online programs students can develop these skills and advance in their educations remotely, and through participating in our online community further their walks in faith and fellowship as well. Doctoral students engage in their fields of study at the highest levels, participating in research or intensive clinical placements to develop and demonstrate expert knowledge of their professions.
Who Are Our Students?
Traditional Undergraduate Students
Traditional undergraduate students live on campus and attend classes in person. They experience the benefits of proximity to at-home NCAA Division 1 athletics, Sweet 16 student life events, weekly chapel, Elevate worship nights, intramurals, 50+ student organizations, and more.
Commuter students are traditional and non-traditional students living off-campus and attending classes in person. Traditional students experience an off-campus lifestyle with only a short drive to campus for events and activities from affordable residential areas in cities like North Charleston, Ladson, Goose Creek, Summerville, and Hanahan. Nontraditional students may be working and caring for families in addition to enjoying the in-person classroom experience. CSU also has the best parking of any college in the area and is a stop for Charleston’s metro bus transit, CARTA.
Online students are our most diverse group. From out-of-state undergraduate students to working parents seeking an advanced degree, the online program is preparing students from all walks of life who need the flexibility of an online program to take the next step in their career. Online students can get connected to campus life through online chapel, tutoring, career services, and more.
Graduate students are pursuing the next step in their career through an advanced degree. Some are fresh out of college and others are balancing life as a working professional and raising families. Many choose hybrid or online learning to accommodate their busy lifestyles in pursuit of their goal to attain an advanced degree.
$28,600 (annual, traditional undergraduate*)
Room & Board
$11,100 – $12,300 (annual)
- Specialized Accreditation
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- International Accreditation Council for Business Education
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- National Association of Schools of Music
- American Music Therapy Association
- Accrediting Commission for Education in Nursing
- Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Accreditation Provisional, Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant
- Candidacy for Accreditation, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- U.S. News & World Report #29 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs
- U.S. News & World Report #21 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans (top-ranked in S.C.)
- U.S. News Best Colleges
- #57 in Best Colleges (South)
- #26 in Best Colleges for Veterans (South)
- #37 in Best Colleges Social Mobility (South)
- Washington Monthly’s Best Bang for the Buck in the Southeast list
- VA Yellow Ribbon Program
- Military Friendly School
13-to-1 — The benefit of a smaller classroom is more one-on-one interaction between professors and students.
- 100% new, entering freshmen awarded an academic scholarship
- 3,349 Enrollment (2,733 Undergraduate / 616 Graduate)
- 31.6% People of color
- 64% Female / 36% Male
- 18% Out-of-state undergraduates representing 40 states
- 41 Countries represented by international students
- 15.4% Undergraduates age 25 or older
- 568,000+ physical and electronic items
- 185 databases
- Selective Depository in the Federal Depository Library Program.
Bucky – Buccaneers
CSU Navy (Pantone 295) and Pirate Gold (Pantone 7503)
Hail to thee, O Charleston Southern: Fount of God’s great truth and knowledge. We thy children all sing praises ever more to thee. Source of inspiration, beacon of salvation; Honor, Courage, Faith and Justice, These thou hast taught us day by day. Hail to thee, O Charleston Southern, Alma Mater Hail!
The BUCS will find a way to get it done. CSU will give its all until the game is won. The BUCS will FIGHT AND FIGHT (shout it!) till victory. And will not stop till we’re at the top, Champions we’ll be, YO HO!