Committed to your education

Charleston Southern University is pleased to be a military-friendly college. We have been providing educational programs and services to military personnel and their families for over 40 years.

If we can assist you with your educational benefits and enrollment at CSU, please contact us at 843-863-7050 or To receive Veterans Educational Benefits at CSU you must be certified by the Veterans Services office. Our office is located in the Hunter Center and is open Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Voted one of America’s Best Christian Colleges and #21 nationwide for Best Bachelor’s Online Programs for Veterans by U.S. News & World Report (2022), here’s what you need to know before applying to Charleston Southern University.

Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible active duty, National Guard and Reserve members. Each branch of service is authorized to establish specific eligibility criteria. Service members should contact their local Education Service Officer (ESO) or representative prior to enrolling in college.

Prospective students are encouraged to visit the following websites before deciding to attend Charleston Southern University.

This dynamic information and comparison tool is designed specifically to aid participants of DoD’s Tuition Assistance (TA) program in making informed choices on schools and education programs. While this website was designed for the individual user, your Service’s ESO can also be your partner in this process.




What you should do to use your TA at Charleston Southern University (CSU)?
Contact your ESO or representative at your local military installation. Please keep in mind that the availability of TA funds varies by your branch of service or command.

Once you have been admitted to CSU, follow these steps:

  • Contact your CSU academic advisor for your degree program and select your classes each semester. Complete your TA with your respective branch of service.
  • Once approved, submit your approved TA voucher or authorization to the If you are using TA along with VA Educational Benefits, please be sure to let the Veterans Services office know.

These are the links to get you started with using your TA:
Air Force
Army National Guard
Coast Guard


Tuition Discounts

Tuition for active duty, reserves and National Guard members is discounted by 10% for traditional full-time students!

Active duty military, Reserves, and National Guard using Tuition Assistance benefits are eligible to take courses at CSU for $250 per credit hour! Please call 843-863-7050 or email us at to inquire.

Veterans Lounge

As a CSU student and military veteran, you will have access to a quiet area in the Student Center dedicated to our students who served and serve in the military.

Made possible by a Palmetto Warrior Connection grant, the lounge is located in the Student Center on the first floor between the Career Center and the Student Success Center.

For more information about access to the Veterans Lounge, contact the Veterans Services office in the Hunter Center.

Academic Success

Take advantage of the many resources we offer on campus to fit all student needs. We also have free veteran-specific counseling services available through V.I.T.A.L. or through CSU’s Counseling Services.

For returning service members adjusting to life back in the states, counselors at the Vet Center in North Charleston are available at no cost and by appointment 843-747-8387.


You are eligible for Chapter 30 VA Educational Benefits if you paid in $1200.00.

If you have never used your benefit, you will need to fill out a VA Form 1990 (obtained through CSU Veterans Services Coordinator’s Office), or apply online at by using VONAPP. In addition to your application you will need to submit copies of page 4 of your DD214s, and if you paid in an additional $600.00 you will need to submit a copy (or copies) of pay sheets showing the total additional amount. Sometimes it’s easier to submit everything through the CSU Veterans Services Coordinator, that way Atlanta receives it submitted as a packet with your first certification. First-time users can expect a 60-90+ day wait in receiving benefit, but Atlanta will pay retro to day classes start. Under Chapter 30, veteran has to verify his/her enrollment at the end of each month, or the first few days of the following month. Verify either online using WAVE or call 1-888-GIBILL1. This will release your check.

Under Chapter 30 you have 10 years from the date of your discharge (honorable) to use your benefits. The last semester you are in classes even if you have only 1 day of eligibility left, this chapter will pay for the entire semester.

If you are transferring from another college you will need to fill out a VA Form 1995. Since you will already be in Atlanta’s system you should be paid at the beginning of the month following the month you attended classes. You will have to verify using WAVE.

You are eligible for Chapter 1606 VA Educational Benefits if you are currently drilling or are in the active reserves.
If you have never used your Chapter 1606 VA Educational Benefits, you will need to fill out a VA Form 1990 (available through CSU Veterans Services Coordinator’s Office), or apply online at by using VONAPP. In addition you will need to submit your Notice of Basic Eligibility form (available from your unit). First-time users can expect a 60-90+ day wait in receiving benefit, but Atlanta will pay retro to day classes start. Under Chapter 1606, veteran has to verify his/her enrollment at the end of each month, or the first few days of the following month. Verify either online using WAVE or call 1-888-GIBILL1.

You are eligible for Chapter 1607 VA Educational Benefits (REAP) if you are a member of a Guard/Reserve component who serves on active duty after September 11, 2001, for a contingency operation and who served at least 90 consecutive days or more.
Currently, qualifying members were called under: Sections 688, 12301 (a), 12302, 12304, 12305 and 12406 of Title 10 or Title 15, or any other provision of law during a war or national emergency as declared by the President or congress.
Only Department of Defense (DoD) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have the authority to determine basic eligibility for REAP benefits.
Individuals are eligible for benefits as long as they remain within their component. Individuals released from disability will have 10 years from the date of eligibility to use benefit.

You may be eligible for Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) if you have a service-related disability rating.
You will need to make an appointment with VA Voc Rehab located at 4600 Goer Drive, Suite 110, North Charleston, SC 29406, or call 843-740-9114 and speak to a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. For more information go to on your website. Under this chapter, certification is approximately two weeks before start of class.

Please make sure that you register for classes early if you plan to use your benefit.

For most current information on the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) please go to

You may apply online using VONAPP. If you have used any of your Chapter 30 benefits you will only transfer remaining months to Chapter 33. If you exhaust all of your Chapter 30 benefits and then apply for Chapter 33, you may be eligible for an additional 12 months of VA Educational Benefits for a total of 48 months max. Once you apply for Chapter 33 you cannot change your mind, because the bill is irrevocable. You have 15 years from time you get out of service to use Chapter 33, and your benefits may be transferred to spouse and children.

If you are the spouse or child of a veteran who is either deceased, or 100 percent totally and permanently disabled due to a service connected injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated during active military service, you may be eligible for Chapter 35 VA Educational Benefits.

A spouse may elect the effective date from the time of notification. Period of eligibility expires 10 years from date of election. A child can establish his/her eligibility between their 18th and 26th birthday. A child may elect effective date, notification date or any date in between. Period of eligibility expires eight years from date of election.

At CSU (a private college) if you are receiving VA Educational Benefits, you will receive a check each month from VA prorated based on number of days per month you are in class.

If you attend a state-supported college, all tuition is paid. You should receive a letter from the state saying that you are eligible to attend a state college. It is good only at a state college.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

If you enroll early, and don’t make any unnecessary changes, you can expect your pay in a timely manner. After the initial VA application process, if you continue in class, your pay will come automatically (after you verify if you are under Chapter 30, Chapter 1606 or Chapter 1607).

As a veteran student, you are eligible to receive Direct Deposit under Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607. Chapter 35 students are not currently eligible for Direct Deposit.

You are eligible for the VA Work-Study Program if you are attending at least 3/4 time. You can check with the Veterans Services Coordinator for a list of places that use VA Work-Study students.

If you are a new veteran student, you are eligible to apply for Advance Pay. You will need to contact the Veterans Services Coordinator early in order to meet the time constraints. When you receive Advance Pay you will be paid for the first partial month and the second full month in the term, then you won’t be paid again until after the third month.

The first check comes to the Veterans Services Coordinator’s Office, and they will contact you to let you know it is in. After that your checks will be sent to you (or be put in Direct Deposit, if you are eligible). After the initial Advance Pay you will have to have more than a 30-day break in enrollment in order to be eligible again.

The only chapter that will pay CSU directly is the new Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), all other chapters pay the veteran student directly (or put it in Direct Deposit, if you are eligible).

If you go to, you can follow the link to Questions & Answers.

If you go to you can scroll to Education and then scroll to Payments. If you know the chapter you are under, and if you are attending full time, part time, etc., you will be able to find out approximately how much you can expect in VA Educational payments each month.

October 1st of each year veteran students will receive a cost of living increase in their VA Educational Benefits.

My VA Certifying Official submitted my certification yesterday using VAONCE. I checked today and there is nothing in the computer that shows that I’m enrolled in class.

Once the CSU Veterans Services Coordinator submits your certification on VAONCE, it takes several days for the information to get from CSU to Atlanta. Once in Atlanta it has to be checked and that takes time. If you are a continuing student it doesn’t take that long and you should see something in the system by the end of the month you’ve attended, or the first of the following month. Please give it a few days since the number of veteran students is increasing, and so the workload in Atlanta is increasing. If you are not in the system by the second week you were supposed to verify your enrollment, please contact the Veterans Services Coordinator by email about your concern. They will contact Atlanta at that time and get back in touch with you.

PHONE: 843-863-7050
FAX: 843-863-7070

Under no circumstances should you fax documents to Atlanta. If you fax documents most likely they will not get to where they need to go. If you feel you need to get something to the VA in Atlanta, please contact your Veterans Services Coordinator at CSU.

TA or Tuition Assistance is available to military members while in-service. It is available through your base Education Office. You are encouraged to use TA as long as you are in-service. If you make changes in your classes, etc., be sure to let your Education Office know.

You have to apply to use your VA Educational Benefits by going to, click on apply and that takes you to VONAPP. Fill out application online, or visit CSU’s Veterans Services Office located in Hunter Center. You can also request an application, or Change In Place In Training form by emailing Be sure to include your name, mailing address, VA Chapter and your major.

Yes, you can use your VA Educational Benefits to top up, or pay the portion of your bill that Tuition Assistance will not pay. To apply to use Top Up you will need to fill out a VA Form 1990 and at the very top put Top Up. You will need to put applying to use Top Up in the remarks block. Once your form is complete, make a copy for your files and then mail to Atlanta. Their mailing address is: Atlanta VA Regional Office P.O. Box 100022 Decatur, GA 30031-7022. Top Up is one program that VA Certifying Officials do not handle. It is between the military student and the Atlanta VA Regional Office.

If you register late, it will affect when you are paid. Once you are certified by CSU online, it takes a few days for it to show up in Atlanta. If you are in the system already it won’t affect you that much, but if you are a brand new student, or a student transferring in from a state outside of our RPOs jurisdiction, then you will have a wait. If brand new the wait is between 60-90+ days. If you are transferring from out of state (in another RPO region), it won’t take as long, but there will be a wait.

If you are a dependent of a veteran, you are not eligible for VA Educational Benefits unless he is 100 percent totally and permanently disabled or deceased from a service related injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated during active military service. If veteran is eligible for Chapter 33 VA Educational Benefits he/she may transfer those benefits to spouse or child. If still in-service the veteran would need to get in touch with Finance Office on their military base to complete proper forms.

Yes, the Vet Center is set up to help returning service members adjust to being back in the states. Counselors have experienced some of the same things you may have experienced while serving in another country. The Vet Center is located on Rivers Ave. in North Charleston. You can call 843-747-8387 to make an appointment.

There is no cost for this service to our veterans who have given so much. Charleston Southern University also offers free counseling. The Counseling Center on campus is located in Russell West. You can call 843-863-8010 and leave a short message along with your name and number or visit their page here.


Payment Questions Chapters 30, 35, 1606 & 1607, Atlanta Regional Office
Phone: 888-442-4551

Payment Questions Chapters 31 Columbia Regional Office
Phone: 800-827-1000

South Carolina State Tuition Waiver Columbia, South Carolina
Phone: 800-255-4317

Debt Management Due to Overpayment Chapters 30, 35 & 1606
Phone: 800-227-0648