Info you can use…

During your time at Charleston Southern University, we want you to have as much information as possible to be successful. Here are a few things to help you along the way:

Student Handbook

All students are expected to know and abide by the information in the Student Handbook. It’s a good idea to take a look through it. 

Student Voter Registration

Charleston Southern University encourages our students to register and vote. 

If you are a South Carolina resident, you are legally entitled to choose whether to vote here in Charleston or to vote at home with an absentee ballot. If you live in the Charleston Southern residence halls, it is important that you use the official street address of the residence hall.

In addition, be sure to include your social security number (required by law) and sign the form. Since January 1, 2013, all voters will be required to show a photo ID when you go to vote. If the address on your ID differs from the one you used on the registration, be sure to take a piece of official mail with you showing your campus address.

You will be required to show one of the following Photo IDs at your polling place:

  • S.C. Driver’s License
  • ID Card issued by S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
  • S.C. Voter Registration Card with Photo
  • Federal Military ID
  • U.S. Passport

There is no length of residency requirement in South Carolina in order to register to vote. You can register at any time. You must be registered at least 30 days prior to any election in order to vote in that election. Registration by mail applications must be postmarked at least 30 days prior to that particular election to be eligible.

  • Students may register to vote where they reside while attending college.
  • In order to vote, South Carolina law requires one must first register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election. To be eligible to register in South Carolina you MUST:
    • be a United States citizen
    • be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
    • be a resident of South Carolina, this county and precinct
    • not be under a court order declaring you mentally incompetent
    • not be confined in any public prison resulting from a conviction of a crime
    • have never been convicted of a felony or offense against the election laws OR if previously convicted, have served the entire sentence, including probation or parole, or have received a pardon for the conviction.


If you are not from South Carolina and want to register to vote – or vote absentee in your home state – you can register to vote online, or visit any of the following links for more information:

Student Complaint Process

The U.S. Department of Education requires higher education institutions that receive federal funds to provide students and other interested parties with appropriate information regarding the filing of complaints.

Students who wish to lodge formal complaints regarding institutional policies and practices and other circumstances regarding student life should contact the Dean of Students Office, Student Center, second floor. Formal complaints must be written and must be submitted in the form of a letter or an e-mail. The Dean of Students will determine the appropriate channel for addressing the complaint and forward it on, when necessary, to the relevant department.  Formal complaints may be submitted here.

Note that academic complaints should be submitted to the academic department chair or dean if there is not a chair.  There are separate policies for resolution of grade appeals and findings of academic dishonesty. (For graduate studies, see this site for grade appeals and this site for academic dishonesty).

The appropriate department will provide the student with an acknowledgment of receipt of the complaint within 10 business days of the receipt of the complaint. This acknowledgment may take written or verbal form based on the nature of the situation. Within 30 business days after receipt of the complaint, the appropriate department of the university will provide the student and the Dean of Students with the institutional response to the complaint. Records of academic complaints are maintained by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and all other complaints regarding student life are maintained by the Vice President of Student Affairs (the Dean of Students). 

Complaints regarding the institution that cannot be resolved at the institutional level, particularly state related policies and procedures or accrediting concerns, should be filed by the complainants to the S.C. Commission on Higher Education or the appropriate agency. In the case of students enrolled only in online classes who live in states other than South Carolina, further pursuit of a complaint not resolved at the institutional level may be pursued at the NC-SARA site.

The university recognizes the sensitive and confidential nature of many student complaints and as a result documentation and correspondence about written student complaints are kept confidential. This information is shared with other departments only on a need-to-know basis.Please note that Title IX complaints are addressed and investigated by the Title IX Coordinator; for information on Title IX complaints, please visit the Title IX page of the CSU website.

Student Complaint Form