Ready to make the move to CSU?

Here’s what you need to know before applying to Charleston Southern University.

Transfer Admission Requirements

  • Must have completed 24 transferable hours
  • Must have earned a minimum GPA of a 2.0 on a 4.0 scale in these transferable hours
  • Must have courses equivalent to Math 111 and English 111 included in transferable hours

Note: If these requirements are not met, CSU will request high school transcripts and scores to determine admission and placement.


A student is classified as a transfer student if they have taken any coursework, including military and career, after high school graduation.

We suggest you apply for admission at the beginning of your last semester of attendance at your present institution.

You can apply online here. To complete your admission file, we require an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) from all previously attended institutions. Upon submission of your application, you will have access to your Application Status Page where all unofficial documents can be uploaded.

If you are accepted to the University, an official transcript(s) is needed from all institutions you previously attended prior to enrolling. Official transcripts can be sent from the previous institution directly to Charleston Southern via email (, fax (843-863-7070), electronic service such as Parchment or Scoir, or by mail. If sending by mail, our address is Charleston Southern University, Office of Enrollment Services, 9200 University Blvd., Charleston, SC 29406.

If you do not meet the transfer admission requirements, you must submit a copy of your high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores. If you do not have SAT or ACT scores, you will need to have a teacher, professor, or school counselor complete an academic reference form.

Note: Students over 21 years of age are not required to submit test scores or an academic reference form.

Official transcripts are evaluated for credit by the Office of the Registrar after you have been accepted. Acceptance of Education, Nursing, and Music courses require review by the appropriate Dean. If you would like an unofficial evaluation of credits, please contact the Office of Enrollment, and ask for a transfer enrollment counselor.

Note: Only courses with a grade of a ‘C’ or higher are eligible for transfer credit.

A student can transfer up to 68 credit hours taken at a 2-year institution (89 if you have an associate’s degree), or 89 credit hours if taken at a 4-year institution.

The following departments have time limitations on credit:

  • Behavioral Sciences: 10 years
  • Business and Economics: 10 years
  • COINS (Computing and Information Sciences): 10 years
  • Mathematics: 5 years
  • Physical Sciences: 5 years

You can click here to see CSU’s merit-based scholarships for transfers and readmits. Merit-based scholarships are based on your primary college GPA. Your primary college GPA is the GPA from the institution you took the most credits. We also encourage you to complete the FAFSA to potentially receive any federal or state aid/grants. CSU’s school code is 003419. If you have any more questions about scholarships, feel free to reach out to a transfer enrollment counselor in the Office of Enrollment.

Housing is available on a first-come basis. Students 21 years or older may live on campus with permission from the Dean of Students.

Math and English placement tests are not required but are encouraged for academic placement. If you have additional questions or would like to take a placement test, please reach out to your enrollment counselor.