Spring in Charleston
The blossoms came and went; the sun is getting brighter and hotter, and the days are getting longer. With the weather getting nicer here in Charleston, people are looking for all kinds of fun activities to get out and experience what the city has to offer.
As college students, we are always on the lookout for free events. Thankfully the school offers Sweet 16 events, both on and off campus, for students to enjoy. The only event left for the year is the Buc Fever Fair, set to take place on campus on April 22. This is a great way to end the school year with Bucky and your friends as you kickstart summer with some fun fair rides!
Students take advantage of the campus’s proximity to the beach, with only about half an hour drive to Isle of Palms in Mount Pleasant and about 40 minutes to Folly Beach. If the weather is nice after class or on the weekend, you can be sure to catch some Bucs enjoying the beach!
By nature, college students are always trying to save as much money as they can while still enjoying fun outside of schoolwork. Below is a list of some fun, free things to check out in the Charleston area:
- Enjoy some free, open air yoga every Saturday morning from 9:30 – 10:15 a.m. at The Waterfront Park in Daniel Island (101 River Landing Dr, Daniel Island)
- The Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge is free to use, and so is parking! It is a great way to get a good cardio session in on the bridge’s steep inclines, and an added bonus is the gorgeous sunset over the water if you time it right! Parking is underneath the bridge at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park (99 Harry M. Hallman Jr. Blvd)
- The Charleston Area Beekeepers Association is hosting a fun, free, family-friendly event for folks in the community to learn more about bees and beekeeping, and how you can give back to the bees by learning about which plants are most important for them and how to care for these plants. There will be live music and food trucks, hands-on demonstrations and activities, as well as local honey products and hand-made crafts for sale. This event takes place Saturday, April 15 from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. at Brittlebank Park (185 Lockwood Drive)
- Blessing of the Fleet and Seafood Festival takes place at Memorial Waterfront Park (99 Harry M. Hallman Jr. Blvd) April 30 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. and is a fun event to celebrate the local shrimping and fishing industry with a boat parade, live music, and craft show, as well as lots of free activities to participate in, and of course shag and shrimp eating contests! There will be food trucks to purchase food. * Since parking is limited, there will be buses shuttling event goers the whole day
- Live Under the Oaks is a free, live music event that takes place in the Mount Pleasant Towne Centre (1218 Belk Dr) every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. during the months of April and May. The event features local artists and there will be food trucks for the event specifically along with various restaurants in the Towne Centre
For more information on the Lowcountry, as well as more events (keep in mind that prices will vary for different events not listed above), check out CHS Today.
Zanelle Willemse is a senior communication major and is a spring 2023 intern with the Office of Marketing & Communication.