Athletic Training Program Director
Athletic Training Program Lab
P843-863-7397 / Erbomar@csuniv.edu
EdD, Higher Education, Ball State University, Muncie, IN
MS, Athletic Training, Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN
BA, Athletic Training and Fitness and Performance, Dakota Wesleyan University, Mitchell, SD
SCAT, ATC, CSCS, TSAC-F
Dr. Bomar joined CSU in August 2021 and is currently the clinical education coordinator of the athletic training program, overseeing the clinical education aspects of the program. Renae has been a certified athletic trainer since 2003, a strength and conditioning specialist since 2010, and a tactical strength and conditioning facilitator since 2019. Prior to her arrival to CSU, Dr. Bomar worked as an athletic trainer and instructor with athletes and students at multiple levels over the last 18 years in Indiana. During her doctoral degree she explored preceptor development. Dr. Bomar has a passion for athletic training and interprofessional growth. She is a member of the NATA, MAATA, SCATA, and NSCA.
Dr. Bomar and her husband Brian have been married for 19 years and have two cats, Monkey and Snugz. In her spare time Dr. Bomar can be found enjoying time with family and friends, exercising, or watching sports. She is an active member of Boone Hill United Methodist Church.
Your Purpose. Our Mission.
'Your Purpose. Our Mission.' means I have an amazing opportunity to touch countless lives beyond just my students. I get to support and develop my students' God-given purposes and talents. As athletic trainers, we get to educate, heal, and influence the lives of our patients and communities.Renae Bomar
- PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
1. “Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM): ATCs Helping ATCs Process Trauma.” Foster, N., & Bomar, R. California Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Clinical Symposium and State Meeting. Sacramento, CA, 2018.
2. “Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM): Experiencing Trauma and the Need for Processing.” Foster, N., & Bomar, R. Indiana Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Fall Meeting & Symposium. Carmel, IN, 2017.
3. “Experiencing Work Related Psychological Trauma: How the Athletic Trainer Responds.” Foster, N., & Bomar, R. Great Lakes Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting & Symposium. Wheeling, IL, 2016.
4. “Bringing Out Your Inner McGyver: Evidence-Based Scenarios.” Destefano, N., Bomar, R. & Gogel, J. Indiana Athletic Trainers’ Association Summer Meeting. Indianapolis, IN, 2013.
5. “Muscle Energy Techniques to Treat Painful Lumbar Spine Mobility.” Lawrance, S. & Lauber, C. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV, 2013.
6. “Unlocking the Hip.” Lawrance, S. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting. St. Louis, MO, 2012.
7. “External Ankle Stabilization: Male High School Basketball Players’ Perceptions on Functional Performance.” Bomar RE, Cordova ML, Demchak TJ, Storsved JR. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting. Baltimore, MD, 2004.
8. “Hi-Top versus Low-Top: The Injury Ratio Between Hi-Top and Low-Top Shoes” Hrbek R. Honors Banquet Presentation, Dakota Wesleyan University, 2002.
1. Bomar, R., & Smarelli, T. (2020). Laying the Foundation: Work-based Learning in Athletic Training & Exercise Science. Techniques: Experiential Learning at Work, 95 (1), 28-33. Retrieved from acteonline.org
2. Bomar, R., & Mulvihill, T. (2016). Educating Educators: Perceptions of Preceptors and CEC Regarding Training at a Division II Athletic Training Program. Athletic Training Education Journal, 11, 10-17. doi: 10.4085/110110
- MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
National Strength and Condition Association (Membership # 09-02-09-016)
National Athletic Trainers’ Association (Membership #980433)
Mid-Atlantic Athletic Trainers’ Association
South Carolina Athletic Trainers’ Association
Great Lakes Athletic Trainers’ Association
*LGBTQ+ consultant (2018-May 2020)
*ATs Care GLATA representative (2014-April 2020)
Indiana Athletic Trainers’ Association
*ATs Care Co-Chair (2014-April 2020)
*Scholarship Committee member (2018-April 2020)
*National Athletic Training Month (NATM) Committee Member (2020)
Indiana Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE)