Assistant Professor of Education
P843-863-7478 / Eksobolewski@csuniv.edu
Dissertation: Sobolewski, Kathy. (2002). Gender equity in classroom questioning [Doctoral Dissertation, South Carolina State University, 2002], University Microfilms Inc.
Ed. D. 2002 SC State University School Administration
Ed. S. 1996 The Citadel School Administration
M. Ed. 1992 The Citadel School Administration
B. S. 1986 Baptist College Elementary Education
Dr. Sobolewski started her career as a middle school science teacher. For two years, she worked under a National Science Foundation grant providing professional development to Lowcountry science teachers. Leadership became an area of expertise as Dr. Sobolewski served as a school principal. After retirement, from the public school system, she teaches in several programs at Charleston Southern University. Areas of expertise include leadership, middle schools, gifted education, art education, STEM, and equity.
Your Purpose. Our Mission.
I go the extra mile for students by providing timely person-to-person assistance. I take pride in a quick response. Together, the student and I develop a plan of action to address difficulties. I assist in reviewing work, answering questions, and finding resources. I enjoy the collaboration and problem-solving with students.Kathy Sobolewski, EdD
- RECOGNITION & HONORS
• Score of “100” on US Federal Report Card, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, 2014.
• SCASA Middle School Principal of the Year, finalist, 2013, 2014.
• Tri County Counseling Association, Principal of the Year, 2013.
• SC ART Education Association, Outstanding Middle School Principal of the Year, 2009.
• Palmetto Gold Award, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, 2004-2007.
• SC State Resolution honoring Rollings Middle School of the Arts and Dr. K. Sobolewski, 117th Session, March 21st, 2007.
• Blue Ribbon Lighthouse Award, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, 2007
• Carolina’s First Palmetto’s Finest, SCASA award for middle-level division, 2007
• Principal’s Recognized, The Citadel, 2005.
• Distinguished Alumni, Charleston Southern University, 2005.
• SC State Dept. of Educ. Showcase School, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, 2004-2007.
• Closing the Achievement Gap, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, 2004-2007.
• Promoting Excellence in Teaching Award, nominee, National Board Certification Council, 2001.
• Promoting Excellence in Math and Science Teaching, nominee, National Science Teachers Association, 1992.
• Teacher of the Year, nominee, Westview Middle School, 1992
- PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
• Sobolewski, K. (2022). Excellence, Beyond the buzzword, South Carolina Association of School Administrators.
• Sobolewski, K. (2022). Empathy- The critical skill for 2023, Submitted on 11-15-22 to South Carolina Association for Teacher Education.
• Sobolewski, K. (2021). Courageous conversations. South Carolina Association of School Administrators. Palmetto Administrator ,40, Spring, 2021, 20–23. www.scasa.org//Files/Spring%202021%20PA.pdf.
• Creating a Culture of Accountability, October 2023, Submitted on 4-19-23 to the South Carolina Association of Teacher Educators
• Courageous Conversations, October 2022, CSU Student Leadership Forum.
• Empathy: An Essential Leadership Skill, October 2022, SCATE conference
• Empathy: An Essential Leadership Skill, August 2022, CSU Fall Kick-Off
• Interview Preparation, Guest speaker for CSU undergraduate class
• Interview Preparation, CSU administration internship program, Zoom, 4-8-21
• Interview Preparation, Dorchester School District 2 administration internship program, Zoom, 3-31-21.
• “Accountability Conversations”, Berkeley County School District Professional Development Day, Cane Bay High School, 2020.
• “Ten Things You Really Need to Know About Palmetto’s Finest”, SC Middle School Association, Myrtle Beach, SC, 2007
• “Creativity”, Panelist for Spoleto Education Foundation, Charleston, SC, 2006
• “Goal Setting with Students”, SC Middle School Association, Myrtle Beach, SC., 2005.
• “Gender Equity”, presented at the Oxford Roundtable, Oxford University, England, to national leaders in gender equity, 2003.
• “Qualities of an Effective School”, Laing Middle School, to selected school leaders throughout Charleston County School District, 1999.
- MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS
• South Carolina Association of School Administrators
• South Carolina Association of Teacher Educators
• National Art Educators Association