Associate Professor of Psychology, Program Director of the Clinical Counseling Program
The mission of the Charleston Southern University Master of Science in clinical counseling program is to train counselors to be clinically competent and biblically sound.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare counselors who demonstrate behaviors of academic excellence and appropriate help-seeking behaviors from various sources to improve academic skills.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare counselors who can understand and develop a professional identity as a clinical counselor.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare counselors who provide exceptional counseling and relational skills.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare counselors who understand knowledge of development, psychopathology, and treatment planning.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare effective counselors who are culturally competent and responsive to clients in diverse communities.
- The Clinical Counseling Department will prepare counselors who have awareness of their own spiritual development and are able to use spirituality effectively in clinical settings.
Upon completion of the program, students will have acquired the knowledge, interpersonal skills, clinical reasoning and problem solving abilities, clinical and technical skills, and professional behaviors required to be a practicing clinical counselor:
- Students will apply physical, social, and psychological development theories to evaluate and manage patients across all ages and in a wide range of clinical settings.
- Students will explain and apply the process to elicit an accurate assessment, case conceptualization and effective treatment intervention based on the knowledge of human functioning.
- Students will demonstrate cultural competency, sensitivity, and responsiveness when working with individuals, groups and communities who represent various ethnicities, religions, cultures, and belief systems.
- Students will demonstrate excellent communication skills with patients, their care teams, and other members of the healthcare team.
- Students will demonstrate exemplary professionalism by demonstrating high values, principles, and ethical decision making for all patients, their care teams and members of the healthcare team.