Good news, financially, for CAPS students
The S.C. Tuition Grants Commission has approved Charleston Southern University’s College of Adult and Professional Studies (CAPS) as an eligible program for receipt of the S.C. Tuition Grant.
CAPS is an affordable, flexible and fully online program offering both bachelor’s and master’s degrees for working adults. The awarding of the grant will begin with the 2018-2019 academic year for undergraduate students.
Dr. Marc Embler, dean of the CAPS program, said, “While some of our students are able to receive tuition assistance through their employer and military benefits, other students rely solely on financial support through the federal Pell Grant and student loans.”
To qualify for freshman initial eligibility, students must meet one of the following criteria: rank in the top 75 percent of high school class; 2.0+ GPA; 900+ SAT or 19+ ACT. Returning students must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year. To be eligible as a transfer, full-time students must earn 24 credit hours per year. This does include summer terms as well (summer is for makeup hours only; you cannot receive the grant during the summer term).
Here are some additional requirements:
- Have financial need based off the FAFSA’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC);
- Be registered as a full-time student (12+hours) – you must receive the S.C. Tuition Grant in the fall semester to receive it for the spring semester;
- Be a first degree-seeking undergraduate student;
- Be enrolled in courses toward your degree;
- Submit the FAFSA by June 30;
- Submit all verification/residency documentation to the Financial Aid Office by the November 15 deadline each year. We recommend June 30th, to ensure the information is processed in time and aid is disbursed at the end of the drop/add date for the upcoming fall;
- Failure to submit required documentation by the November 15 deadline date will result in the loss of the S.C. Tuition Grant for the academic year.
Embler added, “The S.C. Tuition Grant allows students to be able to receive more financial support, which results in less student loans and money out of their own pockets. In a world where more employers are seeking a college education from their employees, the S.C. Tuition grant allows the CAPS online degree to be even more affordable, with less financial burden on the student.”
Questions regarding the awarding, academic criteria, required documents or other related financial aid questions, can be directed to the Financial Aid Office at 843-863-7050 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about CAPS, go to www.charlestonsouthern.edu/CAPS.