Oral History Project
Did you know that Charleston Southern University turns 60 years old in 2024? The university has grown since it began as the Baptist College of Charleston in the buildings of First Baptist Church of North Charleston. We would not be here today without the support of our alumni.
As part of the celebration of this milestone, the Charleston Southern University Alumni Association is partnering with Publishing Concepts, Inc. (PCI) to collect all your amazing Buccaneer stories! From the inaugural class to our newest graduates, we want to hear your stories and share them with Buccaneer Nation through a commemorative print and digital book celebrating all things CSU!
Have You Moved?
As part of this project, we are also taking this opportunity to help make it easier for you to stay connected to CSU. PCI will help us collect updated contact information from those of you who may have moved and inadvertently lost touch with your alma mater.
So, what Buccaneer Story will you tell?
- Did a special faculty or staff member have a profound impact on your life?
- Did you find your Buccaneer Sweetheart at Baptist College/CSU?
- Can you trace your career path back to a defining moment at our Alma Mater?
- Have connections you made on campus turned into lifelong friendships?
- Were you on campus during a historical moment?
- Are you a legacy Buccaneer, meaning there are other Buccaneers in your family?
By partnering with PCI, we’re able to access their trained staff of live human beings who are excited to listen to what you have to share. PCI will also be helping us to collect and assemble the stories into a book that we can share with Buccaneer Nation. Please note that we have only shared your contact information with PCI in conjunction with this project. We have NOT sold your contact information, or otherwise used it for outside marketing purposes.
Do I have to buy something?
No. This project is being done at NO COST to Charleston Southern University. The project is completely funded by the alumni who CHOOSE to purchase the book that will be produced at the end of the project. The book is offered at $169.98. PCI will also offer you the option to purchase other Charleston Southern University branded merchandise such as a hat, t-shirt, sweatshirt and a travel bag. You are welcome to purchase these items, but you are not required to do so to (a) participate in the project or (b) order the book. Again, we’d never be able to embark on a project like this without the support of our amazing alumni and the partnership with PCI. So we sincerely thank every person that participates and chooses to purchase the book.
Soon you will be receiving email and postcard communications from the PCI team with instructions on how to participate. We’d like to invite you to share one of your stories with us, and take part in this first of its kind project to honor the experiences and voices of our alumni. The PCI team will collect stories throughout 2024. After that, they will enter a post-production phase, editing the data.
Have questions? Please feel free to reach out to C. Denise Dawson, Director of Alumni Engagement at (843) 863-7517 or email@example.com.
- I received an email/postcard/phone call from a company asking for my personal information and a story about Charleston Southern University. Tell me more about the project.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for Charleston Southern University. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at Charleston Southern University and how the school helped to shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Does Charleston Southern University benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
- Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
- Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our school
- Revenue (if applicable) – generates non-dues revenue for alumni programs
- Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our school
- How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law.
- I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
- If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify the information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at Charleston Southern University. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to Charleston Southern University at the conclusion of the project.
- If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- If you did not receive a postcard or email, you may call the dedicated Charleston Southern University update line at 1-888-223-2969.
- If you are living internationally or are unable to call the update line, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. PCI will send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
- How can I participate if I am Deaf/Hard of Hearing?
If you would like to participate and are Deaf/Hard of Hearing, please email email@example.com. PCI will send you a personalized link for you to share your written story and photo.
- Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
The only information that is included in the publication is your name, class year and degree, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for the school/alumni association. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before July 5, 2024, by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time before July 5,2024 to share your story.
- I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
- Can anyone purchase a book?
The Charleston Southern University Oral History Publication is available for sale only to Charleston Southern University alumni.
- When will I receive my book?
The total duration of the Oral History Project is about 12 months. Since we began the project in January of 2024, the books will be distributed in late January/early February of 2025.
- I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.